Here’s the simple crochet ornaments stiffening and blocking tutorial. It uses everyday materials with addition of some decorative glitter which is optional, but I really like making my snowflakes sparkle. This mixture of water and glue makes your snowflakes stiff and hard so once you soak them in it there’s no going back. So, make sure you’re content with your work before you use the mixture. You can use this tutorial for any snowflake (or any other ornament and decoration). Here are the patterns for my three different snowflake designs:
What you need:
- Crochet hook 1mm (US 12/6)
- Crochet Thread No 8 or No 10
- Water-based glue (I used Mod Podge)
- Plastic container
- Rust-free pins
- Thick cardboard or foam board
- Baking paper or other non-stick paper or foil
- Metal, wooden or plastic spoon
- optional: glitter
- Mix glue and water in 1:2 ratio (more water than glue). 1 teaspoon of glue should be enough for 10 snowflakes. Mix it well with the spoon and add some glitter into the mixture(optional!).
- Take your foam board or a piece of thick cardboard and cover it with some baking paper or other non-stick paper or foil.
- Soak one snowflake at a time. Make sure it’s completely covered with the stiffening mixture then take it out and squeeze it a few times to get rid of excess water.
- Lay the wet snowflake on the board and start pinning it to form its final shape.
- Start by pinning the center of your snowflake and then its longest points.
- Pin all the points of the snowflake.
- Leave it to dry somewhere warm for 24 hours.
- After the snowflake dries and hardens, you can carefully remove all the pins.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me in comments section of this post, on my Facebook page, or by e-mail [email protected]. Also, if you make the snowflakes, send me some pictures, I’ll publish them on my Facebook page. You can tag me on Instagram @barbarapecek.
This pattern is copyright of Barbara Peček / TheMagicLoop.com . Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. Do not sell this pattern or parts of this pattern. You may sell finished items made from this pattern, but please clearly credit the design to me and provide a link to my website www.themagicloop.com.